Monday, September 15, 2008

The Sewing Addict's Version of a Hurricane Party

I meant to post this last week, but never got around to it.

And, before I go any further, let me just say that my thoughts and prayers are with all of those people affected by tropical storms & hurricanes this year ... particularly those people in the Houston area (including my grandfather & uncle) who were recently hit by Ike.


Last weekend, we were facing a hit by Tropical Storm Hanna. Even though it wasn't a very strong storm, we still had to be cautious since we're right on the coast. On Friday, it looked like it was turning toward us, so we left work early and headed home. My dad called me to see if I wanted to "ride out the storm" at his house, citing these arguments :

1. Even though his house is significantly closer to the coast and sits directly on a lake, it is still MUCH sturdier and more well-built than my house which sits farther inland.

2. He reminded me that the whole rest of the family would be there ... Suzanne & mama & the kiddos were going over there since Scottie was in Mississippi. And, from experience, it is much more bearable to be with other people at a "hurricane party," if you will, than to be stuck at home by yourself ... probably without electricity.

3. There was room in a neighbor's garage for my car, so that I didn't have to worry about it being hit by falling debris from all the live oak trees around his house.
All of these arguments were great, and very convincing, but the thing that really made the decision was dad's insistence that I bring my sewing machine with me, and his promise to start up the generator if the power went out, so that all the girls could continue to sew during the storm. What more could I ask for?


Of course, in the end, we got a lot of rain and hardly any wind at all. Pretty uneventful hurricane party. But, it was a good time of sewing nonetheless.

No comments: