Friday, August 8, 2008

The not-so-itsy-bitsy spider

So, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a spider spinning its web outside my office window. I really don't like spiders at all, but I figured that as long as it was on the other side of the glass, it wouldn't bother me. I didn't worry about it, because I'm not in the habit of opening my windows at work. Plus, it was kind of fun to be able to watch it do whatever spiders do from the comfort of my office chair. I made a habit of looking for it every morning and checking on its activities during each day. I watched it as it grew into quite a sizable spider. I even named it ... Charlotte, of course. We bonded.

But then, our on-staff horticulturist (i know, right?) observed a suspicious red marking on this spider's belly, and notified me that my sweet little innocent Charlotte was actually a poisonous brown widow. YIPES!!!

So, I had to say goodbye to my little big spider friend ... she didn't last long after the area was sprayed with spider spray, but I did manage to snap a couple of pictures to remember her by.



No comments: