Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fabric Makes Me Happy.

A while ago, I posted some pictures of my studio, but I didn't include photos of my fabric stash. I never thought I'd be someone who has a "fabric stash" but I have definitely caught the sewing bug, and I definitely am working on a nice little stash now. To be fair, I inherited a large portion of it from my dear mother, but I have to take responsibility for continuing to buy fabric for no reason other than that it's fun and it makes me smile!

To be honest, I try to avoid showing my stash to people, because I'm afraid they'll get the wrong idea about me ... like that I'm super-picky, controlling, or OCD. Really, I'm not (well, ok ... maybe just a little bit OCD - ha!) ... but honestly, it's just that I need things to be organized so that I am free to be creative in my studio. I cannot work in chaos. Plus, I have a very small studio space, so I am forced to use my storage areas efficiently.

Anyway ... I've gotten a few requests for pictures, and I finally am giving in.

Basically, I have my fabric separated into 4 groups :

Yardage (cuts of at least 1 yard)
These pieces are wrapped around a 6x24 inch rotary ruler to get them to the same width, and then folded in half lengthwise to fit on the shelf. Then, they are stacked according to color. Most of my yardage is cotton for quilting and other sewing projects (below), but I do have a separate shelf of flannel & fleece yardage.


Fat Quarters (I also lump 1/2 yard cuts in here, because they are small)
These pieces are wrapped around a 4 inch rotary ruler, and then folded in half lengthwise to fit on the shelf. Then, they are stacked according to color or theme (ex : dots, stripes, florals, novelties, hand-dyed, etc...)


Large Scraps (anything less than 1/8 of a yard, and in large enough pieces to use for a small project)
These pieces are folded roughly by hand and placed in rubbermaid bins according to color. This helps me find things easily when I am looking for something specific.


Small Scraps (basically anything that is truly a scrap, and could only be used for the smallest of projects ... usually applique)
These get dumped all together in a big (19 gallons!) bin ... never sorted. I thought about sorting them into darks and lights at some point, but it's such a huge task that I can't even imagine how I could get it all done! For now, I just rummage through the bin whenever I need something.


I also have a number of bins stored up high with fabrics that I don't use very often at all ... shiny fabrics, sheers, denim pieces, upholstery fabric, etc... My mom had them organized that way, and I'm not sure I've touched them since she died.

Anyway ... that's it. Any ideas for some projects that I could work on to get rid of some of this fabric??

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow! I am not only totally impressed, but totally jealous. I could stare at your fabric all day; how do you tear yourself away?! And I love your appliqued towels - it would be hard to use something that cute though.

p.s. Thanks for stopping by my blog

Eowyn's Heir said...

i'm telling you! great project-- make cute things for my house!!

Sara said...

ha! i would love to make things for your house, but i think you might get tired of them, since it would take TONS & TONS of things to use up the whole stash! ;o)

Glenn and Helen Sarratt said...

Have you ever thought of making a braided rug? I'm not sure how they are made, but I'm sure the internet would provide some clues. I love your beautiful stacks! I used to be a fabric addict--we had this really cheap place in Greenville when Elizabeth was little, where you bought it by the pound. It was really dumpy, and the fabric was piled high on tables. She loved to climb on them.
Helen

Sara said...

yes! actually, my mom had one started ... not braided, but crocheted. i should add to it with some of my scraps! i bet it could be a BIG rug with the amount of scraps I have!
i miss you guys up in good 'ole g-ville!

Amy said...

I'd love a nursing cover or two. Easy makes.. but could have fun with decorating them. I will pay for shipping if you let me know about how much it will be... I'd take just about anything that would be similar to the ones from BeBe Au Lait. I think that's who makes them a lot.

Or, of course, I'd love any outfit for Cal that looks like those ones from the wee wonders.. the swedish/swiss looking patterns. I love them! And I'll pay you. :)

Only if you are interested in doing so though. We will be glad to be guinea pigs for any boy outfits that you or your sister need to practice on..
;D

Sara said...

oh don't worry - i have something already in the works for little Cal. it might make its appearance here one day ... as soon as I get around to finishing it! ha!

Amy said...

Aw! I just read this! Thanks Sara! Little man will like anything Miss Sara makes. You are so talented!! :) Can't wait to have him and bring him to see you in Charleston!! Love- Amy (and little man)