Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's a new day.

For the last 10 years or so, I have had an ugly monster living in my house. I mean ... we're not talking about the cute fuzzy animated characters from Monsters, Inc. I'm thinking more like something on the lines of a cyclops or a big foot ... you know - really ugly and scary. I'm not even exaggerating!

You see ... when I was a senior at Furman, my best friend Mary and I were moving into our own apartment and needed a sofa. Of course, we were poor college kids at the time and all we could afford was a free hand-me-down from a generous soul. So my mom - an interior designer - hooked us up with a client of hers that had just ordered a new sofa and was getting rid of their old one. I was happy to take the old one off their hands ... until I saw it! I literally can't imagine a more hideous fabric. It was a grotesque combination of mauve, burgundy, and teal in a random flowery mess. But, since we couldn't afford anything else, we decided to suck it up and be thankful that we now had a couch to sit on. Hilariously enough, when we moved into our apartment, we realized that the couch matched the decor of the place PERFECTLY. Who would have known? It was as if the couch was made for that living room!! Mary could attest to it, I am sure.

Anyway ... when I graduated from college, instead of leaving the sofa in the apartment it was made for ... I decided to take it with me to start my new life as a real adult. My mom got me a pretty slip cover from Pottery Barn to cover the madness. I mean ... I was out in the real world now. I couldn't have a couch that made me look like I was still a starving college student, right? Well ... it worked to fool everyone into believing that I had a decent sofa, but *I* still knew the ugliness that lurked beneath ... haunting me every time I straightened the slip cover when I cleaned my house. SO ... last month, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. I *had* to get a new couch. A real couch. One without any trace of mauve. Or burgundy. Or teal. Or flowers. Or slipcovers.

So ... here it is ... drumroll, please.



Isn't it beautimous?

Now, if I could just afford to replace my chair that looks so very sad and old next to this shiny new couch!!

4 comments:

MSF said...

You forgot to mention that you were allergic to it and would sneeze like crazy anytime you sat on it for extended periods of time. Remember when we got the covers dry-cleaned and it still didn't help?!
What a beautimous couch!! I can't wait to sit on it!!
Does your chair still have elbow holes on the armrests like our blue recliner does?!

Sara said...

haha! you're right! i forgot about being allergic! Too funny ... and do you remember how it had like two slip covers ... one on top of the other? crazy!

oh ... and i so noticed the arms of the famous blue chair in one of your blog pictures recently. that chair is so super comfy!

Eowyn's Heir said...

where are pictures of the ugliness!??? inquiring minds, you know...

Sara said...

i'll try to get a good picture of the ugliness soon. :o)